Diamond Bar has gone to the dogs. (And their owners.)
That's all thanks to the brand new Bark Park which is now officially open this week, after a grand opening celebration was held this weekend.
According to city officials, some 200 dogs were at the Saturday opening-- along with several hundred more of their human counterparts.
After the ceremonial "leash cutting" took place, attendees were privy to pet-themed giveaways and coupons for dog-related services.
The Bark Park is located at Pantera Park, on a 1.35-acre parcel located at 738 Pantera Drive. There are two main enclosures: a 19,400-square-foot area for small dogs less than 25 pounds, the other a 39,400-square-foot area for large dogs 25 pounds or larger.
Additional amenities include an Americans with Disability Act accessible walkway leading to park, a drinking fountain with pet bowl, park benches, trash receptacles, and complimentary doggie waste bags.
Now that the park is open, here are the official rules for use, according to the city:
- Park use is limited to dog owners and their dog(s).
- All other animals and activities are prohibited.
- Areas Separated by Weight -Large dogs 25lbs and over; Small dogs less than 25lbs
- Handlers may not bring more than three (3) dogs at any one time
- Children under the age of 14 years must be accompanied by an adult
- Dogs and children must never be left unattended
- Dogs must be on a leash at all times whenever outside of fenced area
- Current license tag must be worn at all times and vaccinations must be current
- Owners must clean up after their dog(s) and properly dispose of the waste
- Leashed dogs are not allowed within the fenced areas
- Spiked collars are not allowed
- Aggressive dogs, dogs in heat, and puppies younger than four months are not allowed
- Digging not allowed. All holes must be promptly filled by owner
- Spectators are not allowed within the fenced area
- Food of any kind (including dog treats), and glass containers are not allowed
- Unauthorized pieces of equipment are not allowed
- Alcohol or drug use is not allowed
- Special events or contests are not allowed without prior written authorization
- Visitors’ use of Dog Park is of their own risk
- All other park rules are applicable and enforceable
The Bark Park will be available for use daily a half-hour before sunrise and a half-hour after sunset.
The dog park project had some initial delays before getting back on track.
Diamond Bar had wanted to open it in August, but the project stalled when the contractor had to be replaced because the company was unable to secure the proper bonds needed to begin the project.
On Aug. 24, the Diamond Bar City Council awarded a $103,941 contract to Torres Construction, Inc., enabling the project to move forward once again.
For more information, visit www.diamondbarca.gov/dogpark or call 909-839-7055.