The Chili Cook-Off fundraiser is Sunday, Sept. 30 from noon to 4 p.m. at Fairview Park in South Fayette Township.
As for the chili recipe, it’s easy and will make for a tasty treat on these cold, rainy days of fall that seem to be happening more and more often.
First, you want to heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and stir in the ground beef. Cook and stir for about seven minutes until the beef is evenly browned with no longer pink and crumbly. Drain and discard any excess grease in the pan.
Combine the ground beef, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, onions, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low Heat for 10 hours, or High Heat for about four hours.
Once it’s cooked, garnish each serving with cheddar cheese and enjoy!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese