Diamond Bar and Walnut residents running late with getting their taxes filed can do so by mail late today at the City of Industry Processing and Distribution Center.
The center, located at 15421 E. Gale Ave., will extend its hours for Tax Day. Retail service ends at 6 p.m., but mail collection will go until 10 p.m.
All other post offices, including those in Diamond Bar and Walnut, will operate with normal hours of service and the collection boxes and mail drops will be done ar regularly posted times, officials said.
To get individual post office service hours visit usps.com, or call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).
The U.S. Postal Service offers the following tax mailing tips:
- If you wait until April 15 to mail your taxes, be sure to check the collection time posted on mail drops to verify your envelopes will be collected and postmarked on time.
- Apply the proper postage, especially if including extra forms and schedules. The first ounce (about three sheets of paper) for a First-Class letter-size envelope is 46 cents. The first ounce for a First-Class larger flat-size envelope (bigger than 6 ⅛ inches X 11 ½ inches) is 92 cents. Additional ounces are 20 cents each up to 3.5 oz. on a letter-size piece, and 20 cents each up to 13 oz. on a flat-size mail piece.
- Make sure your envelope has the proper IRS or FTB address and ZIP Code.
- Print your complete return address in the upper left corner of your tax mail envelope.
- Customers who want proof their tax form has been mailed and is received should use Certified Mail /Return Receipt service, which is available at your local Post Office retail counter.